CBE Intranet

Research FAQs

Is the external support for my research a gift, a sponsored program, or a service agreement?

Per UW policy, external support is anything of economic value provided by a third party (either the “sponsor” in the case of sponsored programs or the “donor” in the case of gifts) as a gift or a sponsored program to the University of Washington (UW), the UW Foundation, or the UW’s affiliate entities. External support may be awarded under a variety of labels, including gifts (restricted and unrestricted), grants, contracts, cooperative agreements, subawards, funded and unfunded collaboration agreements, master agreements, clinical trial agreements, corporate affiliate partnership programs, and other similar mechanisms.

GIM34 – Classification of External Support as Either a Sponsored program or as a Gift provides a very helpful description of the differences among the main types of external support. In addition, below are links to helpful guidance for the main funding types:

  • Identifying Funding Types
  • Sponsored Programs (aka grants and contracts)
    • A sponsored program is a transaction between the UW and the sponsor in which the sponsor supports a specific scope of work carried out by the UW for organized research, instruction, or other sponsored activity in exchange for something of value such as data, results, intellectual property rights, and/or technical reporting.
  • Gifts
    • A gift is a voluntary contribution of external support to the University, without any requirement for receipt of any economic or other tangible benefit in return beyond what any general member of the public would receive. The intent must be philanthropic or charitable where the primary beneficiary is the general public and not the donor. Gifts are handled by the UW Advancement Office.
    • Compliance List for Gift-Funded Research – Office of Research
  • Service Agreements
    • A service is a unique, specific and limited function performed at the procurement of another and for the benefit of or on behalf of a specific party, usually the other contracting party (customer). The Revised Code of Washington defines this type of commercial activity as that which provides a product or service for a fee that could be obtained from a commercial source.
    • See additional guidance in Administrative Policy Statement 59.5
  • Outside Compensation – Office of Research

I plan to apply for funding. When should I get CBE research or advancement teams involved?

The process for submitting grants requires thoughtful, proactive planning in order to maximize your success in submitting and winning an award.

  • GIM19 – Internal Deadlines for Proposals to External Entities governs internal deadlines for sponsored programs (grants and contracts; see above).
  • In addition, the Office of Research provides a proposal development timeline. In general, if you are pursuing funding it is best to alert the Associate Dean for Research, Assistant Dean for Advancement, and Assistant Dean for Planning and Budgeting, as soon as possible so that they can help you succeed.

University Policy: An approved eGC-1 and the proposal containing all final business elements should be received by OSP at least seven (7) working days prior to the sponsor deadline. OSP must receive the final proposal, in complete form and ready for submission to the sponsor (i.e. “Ready to Submit”) three business days prior to the sponsor deadline. “Ready to Submit” means a complete proposal in final format that is ready for submission to the Sponsor and routed on an eGC1 with a status of “IN OSP”, as well as available for authorized official access in a sponsor system, if applicable. All proposals, both paper and electronic, received by OSP after 5:00 pm, three (3) business days prior to the sponsor deadline will be returned to the PI and department contact and will not be submitted to the Sponsor unless a waiver to the deadline is granted by the Assistant Vice Provost for Research or his/her delegate.

I am doing research that may involve intellectual property (IP). What do I need to know?

Intellectual Property refers to property rights in ideas that are protected through federal and state laws governing patents, copyrights, and trade secrets. Know-how is sometimes also included in intellectual property licenses, and covers ideas and information that is not protected by patent, copyright or trade secret. The value of intellectual property (IP) is not only in the original idea, but in how that idea is protected through copyright, patent or trademark rights. To appropriately and diligently protect IP created at the UW, we use a management strategy that provides our licensees with the freedom they need to meet their strategic business needs, while giving the UW enough control to ensure the IP is as robust and broad as possible throughout the entire life cycle of the innovation.

  • GIM 40 covers Intellectual Property in Sponsored Programs. According to GIM 40, Intellectual Property (IP) created by UW Employees and Agents in the course of carrying out a Sponsored Program is a state asset, subject to control by statute, regulation, other law, and policy. The Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) must assure compliance with these laws and policies by consulting with other units concerned as directed by Executive Order 34 (EO34.) Disposition of UW IP must support the University’s interest in execution of its academic and public mission.
  • CoMotion handles intellectual property licensing, protection and advising at the UW in accordance with the Patent, Invention, and Copyright Policy, Executive Order 36, which discusses how and when intellectual property is assigned to UW, and how it is managed.
  • Additional details on licensing and revenue distribution are included in APS 59.4.
  • There are a variety of success stories in getting technologies from the UW to the market, and they follow any of four paths to market: startups, direct licensing to industry, direct-to-user licenses, and programs & projects.
  • Learn more about IP.
  • Schedule a Consultation Request with CoMotion.

Can lecturers apply for grants as part-time faculty at the UW?

UW Policy:

For part-time faculty approval to be a PI, it’s up to the Dean whether or not that person is given permission to act as PI. It’s as simple as a letter from the Dean authorizing the individual, which we keep here on file.  In summary, UW policy is fairly vague, OSP clarified that each college makes its own determination.

CBE Policy:  Tenure, tenure-track, and research faculty are automatically given PI status. Other titles, we have the Dean authorize on a case by case basis.  To apply for PI status, please submit a one-page statement of interest and intent that includes Who, What, and Why:

Who is the applicant for PI status.  What is their role and history in the department and college?

What research are they interested in pursuing?

Why choose to do this in work in CBE?

Ask a Question