CBE Intranet

The University of Washington COVID-19 Prevention Plan for the Workplace (Word)   and the CBE Workplace Prevention Plan helps ensure the health and safety of personnel by reducing the potential for COVID-19 transmission at the University of Washington. For more information about the University’s plan for a safe return to the workplace, please visit the Back to the Workplace Task Force page.

Need help? 

Write to us at be-help@uw.edu or call us at: 206-543-8531.

Faculty Back to Work & Back to School FAQs

As an instructor, how can I bring a visitor to class (e.g. guest critic or lecturer)?

In accordance with Governor Inslee’s vaccination proclamation 21-14, all classroom visitors must be vaccinated and follow all safety policies issued by the university. The university requires proof of vaccination for all on-site volunteers and offers no medical or religious exceptions.

If you plan on having a visitor attend your in-person classroom sessions, you will need to ensure that the individual is fully vaccinated (2 weeks after final vaccination shot) before they are allowed to attend your class.

To facilitate this process, please do the following:

  1. Meet with your prospective visitor at least one week prior to their classroom visit to verify vaccination. This may be done remotely, with the visitor showing proof of vaccination via Zoom.
  2. Let your departmental administrator know that you’ll be having a classroom visitor and that they’ve been verified
  3. Provide your visitor with UW’s safety protocols and the contact for EH&S in the event they experience COVID symptoms or test positive for COVID within 48 hours of their classroom visit (covidehc@uw.edu or 206.616.3344)

The following are included as acceptable proof of vaccination:

  • CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card or photo of the card (front and back);
  • Documentation of vaccination from a health care provider or electronic health record;
  • State immunization information system record; or
  • For an individual who was vaccinated outside of the United States, a reasonable equivalent of any of the above.

The vaccination record must show the name of the person vaccinated, the type of vaccine provided, and the date the last dose.

Since this is medical information, we ask that you do not maintain a copy of this information. Please perform only a visual verification (in person or via videoconference).

Please note that it is unlawful to submit fraudulent proof of full COVID-19 vaccination. Any employee found to have submitted false or inaccurate information will be subject to corrective or disciplinary action including, but not limited to, termination from University employment.

Visitors to CBE who provide fraudulent information may be subject to temporary or permanent bans from classroom participation and/or event invitations.

What is the most up to date UW face covering policy?

All University units must follow the current UW COVID-19 Face Covering Policy.

In order to ensure the health and safety of the University campus community and the public, face coverings are required to be worn at the University of Washington, regardless of vaccination status:

  • Indoors when other people are present, and in all public and common areas, such as lobbies, hallways, stairways, restrooms, elevators, and in shared vehicles;
  • At any outdoor in-person event hosted or sponsored by the University or conducted on University of Washington premises with 500 or more people in attendance.

For other outdoor settings, face coverings are strongly recommended to be worn outdoors by all individuals, regardless of vaccination status, when in crowded settings and in settings where there is a decreased ability to consistently maintain a physical distance between others.

Is it possible that the whole University will pivot back to 100% remote instruction and that working in person will not be applicable?

If the pandemic has taught us anything, it is to expect the unexpected and be prepared to pivot. However, we still need to plan for the most likely scenario, and right now, that most likely scenario is that we will be “primarily in-person” with high vaccination rates and a commitment to masking. We will let you know if the situation changes.

Suppose I do not qualify for an accommodation or special arrangement. Can I elect to teach my class remotely or poll my class to see if they would all be OK with either 100% remote instruction or having remote instruction part of the time?

Courses are to be taught in person unless you qualify for an accommodation or special arrangement. It is not appropriate to poll your students to determine if they would prefer remote instruction. Given the power differential between faculty and students, your “asking” them if they would be willing to have the class be held online could easily be interpreted as coercive. You are encouraged to leverage what you have learned during the last year of teaching remotely to improve your in-person class. However, this does not mean that in-person instruction can be replaced by remote instruction in the autumn quarter.

I am concerned that being around people who are not vaccinated is potentially unsafe; can I request to telework 100%?

The UW’s back to the school guidance is based on the best available data and current public health guidance regarding COVID-19. The safety of yourself and others was centered in designing this guidance. We (CBE, UW leadership, PHSKC, WA DOH) are all monitoring the situation carefully. We will adjust if local public health conditions change and/or there is some significant change in our understanding of COVID-19 transmission and prevention (which would be reflected in changes in federal, state, and/or local public health guidance) just as we have done throughout the pandemic. Based on the data we have so far, we expect that a high percentage of UW and CBE faculty, staff, and students will be fully vaccinated by the time they return to campus. We will release comprehensive vaccine completion data (personal health data and privacy will, of course, be protected) for CBE in advance of September 10. You can help alleviate your co-workers’ anxiety by completing your vaccine attestation online via WorkDay as soon as possible (ideally no later than August 20, 2021).

We understand that this is a stressful and challenging time for everyone and that some community members are disproportionately affected. UW HR has excellent resources to help you care for yourself and your family as you manage the back-to workplace transition.

I live with an immunocompromised individual; am I eligible for a workplace accommodation to teach remotely?

Employees living full time with an individual who is immunocompromised are not eligible for a workplace accommodation through UW Human Resources Disability Services Office (DSO) since it does not relate to their own medical condition. However, the College of Built Environments is willing to consider requests for special arrangements for exceptional circumstances. Please submit a special arrangement request explaining your circumstances to your department’s Chair. All CBE requests will be reviewed by college leadership and UWHR  – keeping in mind confidentiality, equity, and CBE capacity to support. More information coming soon on criteria and process for review.

I have unvaccinated children and am worried that I will infect them; can I request to teach remotely?

Current CDC and state guidance state that children should attend K-12 school in person, reflecting our understanding that children are generally at lower risk for severe disease caused by COVID-19. Requiring masking in school settings is an effective mechanism for protecting unvaccinated children. Having children who cannot be vaccinated currently does not qualify for an individual to telework 100%. However, the College of Built Environments is willing to consider requests for special arrangements for exceptional circumstances. In that case, you are welcome to submit a special arrangement request to your department’s Chair. All CBE requests will be reviewed by college leadership and UWHR – keeping in mind confidentiality, equity, and CBE capacity to support. More information coming soon on the criteria and process for review. 

Will there be a mask mandate on campus?

  • Indoors, all individuals are required to wear a face covering indoors, regardless of vaccination status, when on site at a University of Washington location. This requirement is applicable indoors when other people are present and in all public and common areas, including, but not limited to lobbies, hallways, stairways, restrooms, elevators, and in shared vehicles.
  • Outdoors, face coverings are strongly recommended, regardless of vaccination status, when in crowded settings and in settings where there is a decreased ability to consistently maintain a physical distance between others.

Read the University’s COVID-19 Face Covering Policy and the frequently asked questions for more information.

I must take public transportation to work and do not feel safe; can I request to teach remotely?

Relying on public transit does not qualify an individual for teaching remotely. 

I have some students in my class who are not eligible for UW Disability Resources for Students (DRS). Are they eligible for "special arrangements"?

No. However, you are encouraged to be flexible with individual students as you consider appropriate, as always.

I use active learning methodologies, and hence in-class participation is an essential component of the class. Can I still include a participation or hands-on exercise component for grading?

Yes. However, you will need to make available some alternative way that students who have approved accommodations or are required to quarantine or isolate during the quarter can earn these points. Since CBE is committed to in-person active learning, we expect the number of accommodations to be similar to historical averages. Most instructors are likely to be in the situation where students in their classes are contact-traced and asked to quarantine for 2 weeks at some point during the quarter.

Will CBE provide language that I can use to address the expectations that instructors include a statement in their syllabus and on their Canvas site about responsibilities and expectations of students/instructors and what to do if either an instructor or student is unwell?

We are drafting a statement to include in the syllabus and on the Canvas site that reflects our commitment to 1) protect the health and safety of the community, 2) center our students by doing our best to provide quality education and learning, and 3) promote equity in our practices and policies. An example of such a statement follows:

DRAFT Sample Syllabus Language:

“This class is conducted in person. Therefore, unless you meet the criteria for accommodation from UW Disability Resources for Students (DRS) or a special arrangement approved by the CBE Office of the Dean that allows you to take the course remotely [see student communications here] you should only register for this class if you can attend in-person. Note that even if you do meet the criteria, remote offerings may not be possible to accommodate.

Please contact UW Disability Resources for Students (DRS) directly if you feel you may be eligible for an accommodation based on your status as an immune-compromised individual or based on other health conditions that might prevent you from being able to take classes in person.

All UW students are expected to complete their vaccine attestation before arriving on campus and to follow the campus-wide face-covering policy at all times. You are expected to follow state, local, and UW COVID-19 policies and recommendations. If you feel ill, have been exposed to COVID-19, or exhibit possible COVID-19 symptoms, you should not come to class. If you need to temporarily quarantine or isolate per CDC guidance and/or campus policy, you are responsible for notifying your instructors as soon as possible by email. Online class materials will be made available to you, and it is your responsibility to stay up with class instruction. If you have a known exposure to COVID-19 or receive a positive COVID-19 test result, you must report to campus Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S).

If the instructor falls ill or is forced to quarantine alternate arrangements will be made to continue instruction in this course. (This could include instruction via remote teaching and/or via a stand-in instructor and should be outlined here)

Make up work for missed deadlines will/will not be accommodated (for “will not” include: “unless required via UW Disability Resources for Students (DRS) accommodations”; for “will be” include your criteria, like “must notify the instructor in advance/timely manner”.)

Has autumn quarter 2021 been designated an Extraordinary Circumstances quarter in the same way as other quarters (e.g., spring, summer, autumn 2020; winter, spring, summer 2021)?

As of now, Autumn quarter 2021 has not been designated an Extraordinary Circumstances quarter by the UW. That decision is made by the University and not by CBE. We will alert you if this occurs.

If students are not vaccinated before they return to campus, will they still be allowed to attend class?

The vaccine attestation is required for attending classes. Additionally, individuals who are not vaccinated and who have recently traveled to Seattle from out of state or out of the country need to quarantine or isolate before attending orientation or classes if they develop symptoms. These individuals should notify their instructors directly, and instructors are expected to provide them with access to remote instruction while quarantining or isolating. Please check the CDC’s Domestic and International travel pages for the latest recommendations for vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers. Please also check the UW’s Autumn 2021 website or the UW Coronavirus website for more information.

If I need to quarantine, what’s the protocol?

If you need to quarantine, you should be prepared to teach the course via alternate arrangements, either remotely or via a stand-in instructor. Please contact your department chair as soon as you become aware of such a situation. 

I have some students in my class who are not matriculated in CBE programs. Are they eligible for "special arrangements"?

While we are not handling requests for special accommodations for students who are not enrolled in degree programs in CBE at a school-wide level, you are welcome (and encouraged) to provide other students in your class with the same considerations that you would provide to students in CBE programs. Please note, however, that these students would be contacting you directly regarding special arrangements for remote learning.


Alternative Classroom Teaching Tools

Two Minute Zoom + Web Cam Demo

General ResourcesZoomCanvasPanoptoPhone, Webcam, HeadsetGoogle HangoutsDisability ServicesAccessibility ServicesDocument Conversion ServiceDocument AccessibilityPrinting/Plotting

Zoom Video Conferencing

Use UW Zoom to participate in group video chat during online class sessions, host virtual office hours, collaborate remotely on research, share screens and host real-time video conversations, host live web broadcasts to thousands of people worldwide and record to the cloud or computer for easy sharing. Learn more about the differences between UW Zoom basic and pro accounts.


Having course materials online helps you to be prepared and ensures that students always have access to the content they need. The following list contains a number of ways you can share various types of course materials with your students online. Using Canvas, the official learning management system of the UW, is a simple way for your students and you to stay connected. Course sites are automatically created in Canvas each quarter and allow instructors and TAs to:

  • Post the course syllabus
  • Post class lectures
  • Provide course materials, including assignments, readings and audio/visual materials
  • Collect completed assignments
  • Manage quizzes
  • Record and submit grades
  • Post urgent messages
  • Hold conferences (e.g., online office hours) and broadcast lectures live
  • Set up and manage online asynchronous discussions
  • Set up and manage group work

View Canvas help for instructors

Panopto Lecture Capture

Panopto is the UW-IT supported lecture capture solution. Panopto allows for easy recording and reviewing of videos from courses, lectures, and presentations. As a cloud-enabled service, Panopto is designed to simplify the lecture capture process. Recordings in Panopto are viewable on most Web browsers and mobile devices. No service fee for eligible users. Review policies (FERPA Considerations) for using Panopto at the UW.

Panopto helps you to:

Phone, Webcam, Headset

Back to Contents

We recommend the Logitech HD Laptop Webcam C615 and the Logitech USB Headset H390 with Noise Cancelling Mic. If you need help setting up equipment or need equipment, please contact us at be-help@uw.edu.

UW Google Hangouts

You can chat or conference with up to 25 people at once in a UW Google Hangout. UW Google Hangouts are FERPA–aligned, but do not have the BAA required by HIPAA. Hangouts is a feature of UW G Suite. Learn more about Google Hangouts. (Note that FERPA alignment applies only to UW Google Hangouts.)

UW Disability Services Office & Disability Resources for Students

UW Disability Services Office’s mission is to provide leadership to the University community in achieving employment and educational access for individuals with disabilities.

UW Disability Resources for Students (DRS) is a unit within the Division of Student Life dedicated to ensuring access and inclusion for all students with disabilities on the Seattle campus enrolled in our undergraduate, graduate, professional, Evening Degree and Access programs for over 40 years.

Working with DRS

Working with Students with Disabilities

DRS Testing Services for Faculty

Alternative Testing is a group of academic accommodations approved by Disability Resources for Students (DRS) to provide access to course examinations, tests, and quizzes for students whose documented disability affects their ability to take exams.

Faculty can view and support accommodations for students in their class by logging into the myDRS faculty portal.

University Accessibility Services

UW IT Accessibility Checklist & Tutorials
Many of the items in the checklist apply to web pages and web-based applications as well as electronic documents in Microsoft Word, Adobe PDF, and other formats, and other products and services that are not specifically web-based.

Prepare for When Classes Can’t Meet
UW Information Technology and other units on campus have compiled the following toolkit of technology recommendations to help instructors prepare for a possible disruption to campus operations (for example, a pandemic or extended severe weather).

Accessible Technology at the UW 
This website serves as the UW’s hub for information about accessible technology. Accessible technology includes electronic documents, websites, videos, software applications, and hardware devices that can be used effectively by everyone, including students, faculty, staff, and visitors with disabilities.

UW-IT Access Technology Center
The Access Technology Center (ATC) serves users with disabilities, allowing full use of campus computing resources. ATC hardware and software provides braille, alternate document formatting and magnification for blind/low-vision users, keyboard/mouse alternatives, speech-input software, and more. ATC staff provides accessibility consultations and instructs users in accessible hardware and software basics.

Disabilities, Opportunities, Internetworking, and Technology (DO-IT)
The Center for Universal Design in Education
AccessWeb — How to design accessible websites
AccessDL — Accessible design in distance learning

Using the UW Document Conversion Service

The UW offers an online Document Conversion Service to help students, faculty, and staff at the University of Washington to produce alternative versions of documents quickly and easily. The service is free to anyone with a UW NetID, and can be accessed at tinyurl.com/uw-doc-convert.

Please note the following limitations of this service:

  • The source file needs to be of good quality in order to maximize conversion accuracy.
  • Some file outputs may require additional editing after conversion.
  • This service is intended to provide a quick temporary solution, but is not the final solution for accessibility. For faculty and staff who are producing documents, please consult the above links for information on how to create accessible documents in various document formats.


Dawg Prints will have a temporary print station available for on-campus use on the 3rd floor of the Publications Service Building. Please contact front desk at 206-543-5680 when you arrive to be allowed into the building. FAQs about this service here.

Payment will be by Husky Card. Upload the file you wish to print at https://finance.uw.edu/c2/printing-copying/how-print or https://print.uw.edu/myprintcenter/.

The Digital Commons is available to CBE students, faculty, and staff 24/7. There are 16 in-person workstations, a DawgPrints printer (payment by Husky Card), and the Gould Hall plotter. See the Digital Commons page for details.

The Archnet plotter room is available to CBE students, faculty, and staff on a limited basis for a single occupant at a time with your Husky Card. Students may also install Archnet drivers on their own computers and may then send plots to one or more of the Archnet plotters without being physically in the space until it’s time to pick up their plot. Please see the Archnet page for details.


Trainings and Tutorials

SoftwareUW-IT WorkshopsComputing FAQUW Learning Technology1:1 Help

Software Tutorials


UW-IT Workshops

  • Help! I can’t launch Revit/Rhino/other software on one of the library loaner computers when off-campus. What do I do?
    You need to set up a VPN connection to the UW network using UW-IT’s Husky OnNet VPN service. Here are instructions.
  • I’m having odd problems with software in one of the BE labs or studios, or on a laptop I borrowed from the BE Library. What shall I do?
    Let us know! Send email to be-help@uw.edu, or call the BE Computer Consulting number, 206-543-8531, for help.
  • I’m having troubles getting up to speed with ArcGIS. Is there a resource on campus where I can get help?
    Yes! Check out the Suzzallo Library GIS Lab.
  • How do I use the videoconferencing systems in Gould 227 and Arch G042?Have a look at the Newline X7 User Manual, especially pages 14, 15, 18, 19, 32, 33, 36-38. If you need more help, contact the CBE Computing help desk (be-help@uw.edu, 206-543-8531).
  • I forgot my UW NetID password and my account is locked out. What do I do?
    Check out the UW-IT page http://www.washington.edu/itconnect/security/uw-netids/about-uw-netids/, where you’ll find a link to reset a forgotten password.
  • How can I gain access to the College’s laser cutters?
    Laser cutter information is available on the Fabrication Labs page.
  • What computer should I buy?
    Check out our Computer Purchase Tips page.
  • Where can I get help with my personal computer?
    While we do not have sufficient resources to provide a lot of help with technology that is not owned by the UW, you can stop by the Digital Commons help desk, email us at be-help@uw.edu, or call 206-543-8531 and we’ll try to help.  A more comprehensive option is the UW-IT Computer Vet and Tech Help Desk service, which is specifically intended to provide UW students, faculty, and staff with help for their personal computers.

UW Learning Technologies has developed some new guides and resources for this site for how you can use technology to support remote instruction this autumn. Topics were selected based on student feedback on what helped and hindered their learning in spring 2020.

Visit our new sections below:

Self-enroll link at: https://canvas.uw.edu/enroll/ND87FE.

Finally, you may notice that we’ve recently renamed the Canvas course page to “Teaching with UW Technologies” to clarify our goal of sharing how UW-supported technologies can empower remote instruction and blended learning. For additional pedagogical guidance, we encourage you to explore the UW Teaching Remotely page, curated by the Center for Teaching and Learning.

Stay tuned for additional resources coming soon!

General help is available from be-help@uw.edu.  Also, Jenner Johnson of the Architecture department is offering individual help on technology. Please sign up for 1:1 training with Jenner Johnson here. 

Access to CBE Software

Digital CommonsArchnetAdobeAutodeskBluebeamCitrixERSI ArcGISLandFXLumionMicrosoftPrimaveraRhinoOn Screen TakeoffSage EstimatingSketchupVMWareLoaner LaptopsWiFi Deals

Digital Commons

The Digital Commons in the basement of Gould Hall has 16 workstations available for in-person use 24/7 by students, faculty, and staff in the College of Built Environments. Access is via Husky Card. Please see the Digital Commons page for details, including information on plotting to the Gould Hall plotter.


The Archnet plotter room is available to CBE students, faculty, and staff on a limited basis for a single occupant at a time with your Husky Card. Students may also install Archnet drivers on their own computers and may then send plots to one or more of the Archnet plotters without being physically in the space until it’s time to pick up their plot. Please see the Archnet page for details.


There are two ways for CBE students to access Adobe software on their personally-owned computers:

1. Purchase a student discount Adobe subscription for about $20/month. Information on that is available at https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html.

2. Additionally, Adobe software is available on the 66 in-person workstations in the Digital Commons in Gould Hall. These workstations are available 24/7 to CBE students, faculty, and staff, with access via Husky Card.

Questions?  Please send email to be-help@uw.edu.

Bluebeam Revu

Bluebeam is free to students (windows only):

Bluebeam Academic Program

30 Day trial (windows only):

Trial Bluebeam Revu

Mac version (old, no longer supported):

Bluebeam Revu for Mac

CBE Citrix Application Server

Follow the instructions in the “How to Connect to the Citrix Application Server” section.

ESRI (ArcGIS Desktop)

Land FX (Autocad plugin)

Land FX is free to students and faculty:

Land FX Academic License Program

It is Windows-only, so those with Macs will need to run VMware, Parallels, or Bootcamp, and will need to buy a Windows 10 license.

It requires CAD, but Autodesk is free to students and faculty as well.


Full-time UW students in AEC-related fields can gain free access to the student version of this rather spiffy visualization/rendering package. Please note that its hardware requirements are significant – details available on their web site:

Lumion Pro Student

Microsoft Project, Visio

Microsoft Project and Visio are available on the CBE Citrix Application Server.

Back to Contents

Microsoft Windows, Office

Windows 10 Education, Office 365 ProPlus, and Office 365 Education are available to students for free through the UW’s license:

UW-IT Microsoft Software for Students information page


Primavera is available on the CBE Citrix Application Server.


Rhino is now available as a free 90-day trial.

Back to Contents

Rhino Plugins (most available through food4rhino.com after you create an account)

On Screen Takeoff (OST)

On Screen Takeoff is available on the CBE Citrix Application Server.

Sage Estimating

Sage Estimating (formerly Timberline) is available on the CBE Citrix Application Server.

SketchUp Pro

SketchUp Pro is available to students at a discounted price of $55/year:

SketchUp Plans and Pricing

Loaner Laptops

Laptops are available for loan to students via the UW Student Technology Loan Program.

A very limited number of laptops are available for loan to CBE students through the CBE/BE Library Student Loaner Program. Since there are very few of these, please only use this option when all other options above, and the UW Student Technology Loan Program, have been exhausted.

Please contact CBE Computing, be-help@uw.edu, for assistance.

WiFi Deals

Several internet service companies are offering expanded services that may allow you to get connected. Learn more about offerings from Comcast, Charter Communications, Spectrum, and Verizon.

Teleconferencing Platforms

Looking for information on CBE software or computing facilities?

See the Access to CBE Software section!